Saturday, April 12, 2014

Keeping up with Kimye, Jay Z and Gatsby will be the death of us all

I meant to write about this insane "save the date" video earlier, but reasons and life got in the way. Anywho, can we talk about this for a minute? I think we need to because this is just screaming for some type of discussion.


Epic Save The Date {Bambo + Janice} from Major Diamond Productions on Vimeo.

Meet Bambo Obaro and Janice Jentz, two "high-profile" San Francisco attorneys. I don't know these people from a can of paint (yes I'm old; Gen X stand up!). I saw this video on another site and since then it's gone viral, obviously. Apparently movie trailer "save-the-date" vids are what's hot in the streets. Cutesy "save the date" cards featuring engaged couples in all their photo shoot glory is so passé.

When I first saw this I tried to convince myself that these two just have an extreme sense of humor, and this video is just an  expensive, well-produced expression of that. Nope, doesn't seem that way.

Based on the video description from Major Diamond Productions (because who else would you hire to shoot this, Minor Cubic Zirconia Productions? I think not.), these two love the Jay Z, ballerific version of all things Gatsby, throw lavish parties and may be kind of a big deal in the Bay. If these two really fancy themselves to be the Bay Area version of Kim and Kanye as this video suggests...oh lawd.

I firmly believe that this "Look at me!!" culture is why we can't have nice things and why the aliens will have no problem taking over the planet because we'll be too busy Instagram flexing and taking selfies.

Some people think this video is cute, clever and creative. Call me crazy, but I don't get happy couple excited about in joining in holy matrimony from this, but rather something that starts with nar- and ends with -cissism. Sound familiar? Here's a visual in case you forgot what narcissism looks like.


Yeah, maybe I'm being judgmental and unfair, but wedding announcements are supposed to make you feel warm and fuzzy, but this one just made me feel icky. What say you? Creative and clever or Kimye wannabees?

Holla at ya girl and stay random,

Jay






No comments:

Post a Comment