Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Regrets: It's OK to Have Them

I hate it when people say they have no regrets. It's a lie if ever there was one. We all do dumb things and make mistakes. If you don't regret wearing that Herve Leger dress when your body was better suited for a Dress Barn outfit, then something is wrong. Regrets aren't bad, as long as it's not the end of your story.

I regret investing an extraordinary amount of time in someone who didn't deserve me. What's worse is that I knew our complicated "situation," wouldn't work out, but I pressed ahead anyway, like a fool. What I regret most is outlined in the letter below. Get into my confessional and learn from my mistakes.

Dear XXX,

I heard you got married. I also heard that the time between the engagement and the wedding was fairly short. Because of what I heard, I know the time we spent together and the words that were said overlapped with your plans to marry another woman. Consequently, I have regrets about our situation because you're not the man I thought you were.

I regret believing that you actually loved or cared about me. I regret giving you my time, love, attention and friendship. I regret letting myself be vulnerable with you because you weren't worthy of my trust. I regret believing your words rather than your actions.

I regret believing you would one day explain yourself and provide the closure I thought I needed. I regret thinking about you and missing you because I now realize I wasted time and energy that I can't get back. I regret believing your sweet words and gifts meant anything at all.

I deeply regret that I didn't break free of our doomed situation sooner. I tried many times, but you had an uncanny ability to call or text at just the right time, and I always got sucked right back in. I regret that I wasn't stronger.

Bottom line: You're a cowardly, selfish, awful person, and I regret not acknowledging this fact a long time ago. 

Sincerely,
Me

So, as you can see I have a lot of regrets about this situation, but I'm at peace with them. Why? Because experience is the best teacher, and I plan on being an A student. (Want details about The Great Regret? Check it here.)

Stay Random,

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment