Thursday, April 4, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: Kamala Harris is gorgeous and President Obama said so. OMG!!

So here I was struggling with what to write about and the Twitter gods gave me some foolishness ripe for the blog picking. 

If you were on Twitter this afternoon, especially if you saw Washington, DC trending topics, you would have noticed the name "Kamala Harris" near the top of the list. Harris is the attorney general of California, a political rising star and a history maker. She's also very attractive and apparently President Obama mentioned that today during a fundraiser in Cali:

 "She's brilliant and she's dedicated, she's tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general."

Sweet baby Jesus, why did he have to say she was good-looking?! Once the comments hit the interwebs, Obama got called a misogynist, sexist and everything in between. Never mind that he complimented her skill and intellect. Nope, by acknowledging her attractiveness Obama is a lecherous misogynist creep. I mean, it's on the Internet, and they can't say anything on the Internet that isn't true. People are already blogging about it (pot meet kettle) and will blog about it even more tomorrow. Cable TV commentators, and probably the ones that I like, will analyze it to death and declare that Obama committed an egregious crime for which there is no pardon.

Seriously people? The president, first lady and Harris are long-time friends. They've done fundraisers for each other on various occasions. She spoke at the DNC last year. Heck, her name has come up as a potential pick for the SCOTUS! See, FRIENDS. He paid his FRIEND a compliment at a fundraiser. We're not talking about street harassment where some loser makes crude and inappropriate comments. And here's the kicker: President Obama is right. I've seen her in person, and she's a pretty woman (she's also very petite in person, but I digress). As Johnathan Capeheart of the Washington Post notes:

"Judging by some of the comments I’ve seen on Twitter you’d swear the president was guilty of luridly cat-calling a woman he doesn’t know. If I thought for one moment that’s what was going on, you better believe I’d hammer him for it. But that’s not the case here. Far from it. So lighten up, people."

Co-FREAKIN'-sign! I have my issues with Obama (Lord knows I do), but I have to defend him on this one. If you really believe that this president, husband of Michelle, father of Malia and Sasha, raised by a single mother, appointer of women to the highest offices in the land, has an issue with women based on this comment, then you've never met a sexist, misogynist or had to suffer the indignity of sexual harassment (I have and also lost my job because of it. Believe me, it ain't fun). The last time I looked, misogyny is defined as the hatred of women. President Obama hates women? Yeah, I don't believe that and whoever does, needs more people.



Stay random,

Jay


No comments:

Post a Comment